A few decades ago, no one might have imagined that the mobile and web technology will allow the consumers to shop, video chat or do businesses with the comfort of their home via a small screen handy device.
Today, with the emergence of Smartphones, most of the users have become so very dependent on their devices and its amazing applications and are reaping the benefits of its incredible features.
The technology is flourishing with great pace, and advancement in technology has provided the end users with astonishing luxury and incredible benefits. It not only have benefited the businesses, but also facilitated users to accomplish their day-to-day basic tasks with improved precision and convenience.
Android Wearables and other perks of emerging Android Apps Development are another handy product of the Google Android that has been designed to make device accessibility a breeze. Users can easily wear them on their wrist like a watch and access its superior functions.
Since, Android wearable doesn’t support the Google Play store, developers are required to develop a companion handheld application that pushes the wearable app on the wearable devices. So, to enjoy the brilliant and resourceful wearable applications one first need to develop an Android wear emulator.
How to configure an Android Wear Emulator or Device
An Android wear emulator can be created by using the AVD tool available with the SDK. For attaining better user experience, it is advisable to develop the application on an original hardware. But since, it is quite hard to test app for devices with various screen sizes and properties, the emulator offers an ideal solution.
Here is a step by step guide to set up an Android Wear Virtual Device.
1.) When you are working in the Android development environment, it offers a set of proficient tools with SDK and API. Navigate to the Tools and open the AVD Manager after accessing Android option.
2.) From the available options, click on the create.
3.) Doing so, you will get a huge list of fields, where you can provide the AVD details. Let’s have a look at the requisite details (other fields can be left with the default values).
AVD Name – Give a name to your AVD
Device – A device type, whether it is a round or square Android Wear device
Skin – AndroidWearRound or AndroidWearSquare as per the device type
CPU/ABI – Android Wear ARM (armeabi-v7a)
Target – Android 4.4W – API Level 20
Use Host GPU – Selected, to support custom activities for wearable notifications
Keyboard – Select Hardware keyboard present
Snapshot – Not selected
4.) Click on Ok button.
5.) Now, you are required to start the emulator, and for this, you need to –
· First, select the virtual device that just has been created.
· Click the Start button and then the Launch button.
· With this, the emulator will start initializing itself; so just wait till it displays the home screen of the Android Wear.
6.) Just connect the handheld device with the emulator by –
· First, install the Android Wear application from the Google Play store on your handhelp device.
· Now, connect the machine and the handheld device via a USB.
· After doing so, you will need to share the AVD’s communication port with the connected handheld device. This step is required to be repeated every time when the handheld is connected. You can use the following command:
adb -d forward tcp:5601 tcp:5601
· Connect the handheld device to the emulator and initiate the Android Wear App on the handheld device.
· Select Demo Cards from the menu available at the top right corner of the app.
· On the home screen of the emulator, these cards will be displayed as notifications.
And here is a step-by-step guide to set up an Android Wear Device.
1.) After downloading the suitable Android Wear application on the handy device from the Google Play store, simply go with the app instructions for connecting the device with the wearable. While developing, this step will help you to test the notifications that are synced with the handy mobile device.
2.) Now, keep this Android Wear application open in the phone.
3.) Install the desirable applications directly by connecting the machine and wearable via USB. And, after doing so, it will allow you to easily fix the bugs in the applications.
4.) Make the check mark the option “Always allow from this computer” and click OK.
Now, after running the adb (Android Device Bridge) command, your wearable must be listed and the Android Studio features an Android tool window that showcases the system logs from the wearable.
How to create a project
For beginning the development, a skilled Android App Developer isrequired to first create the project featuring modules of both mobile and wearable app. For this you will first need to navigate to the File and then open a new project in the Android Studio. There you will get the Project Wizard Instruction, simply follow them along with the following instructions.
· Fill in the application and package name in the window – “Configure your Project”.
· In the “Form Factors” window box, select the options tablet, mobile, and lesser minimum SDK, select API 9: Android 2.3; and then, secondly select option Wear and under minimum SDK, select API 20: Android 4.4
· For the first selection, insert an empty activity for mobile via Add an Activity Window.
· For the second selection, insert an empty activity for Wear via Add an Activity Window.
After completing the wizard, you will have a project for both the handheld apps with module mobile and Wearable apps with module wear. With this you can create customized layouts, activities and a lot more as per your taste. The tasks that demands user interaction are needed to be included in the handheld applications. Once all these settings have been made successfully, the wearable will get results either via notifications or by directly syncing and transferring the data.
Use the above mention simple and resourceful tutorial for configuring an Android Wear Emulator and creating individual projects for handheld devices and wearable while developing an Android Wearable application.
Juana Steves is a technical writer associated with Xicom technologies – one of the reputed Android App Development Companies. With her best assistance, you can also opt to avail Android Developer for Hire, in case you are looking forward for the same.